Celebrating 123 Years 2019 – 2020
The Stanford University Women’s Club was founded in 1896 by Jessie Knight Jordan, wife of then Stanford President, David Starr Jordan. Mrs. Jordan’s goal was to create a club that would promote friendships, welcome newcomers to the university, and enable women to share mutual interests. At its first meeting in 1896, 60 women met at the home of Mrs. Jordan. The program was entitled “Nonsense Afternoon,” with songs, poetry and stories. Dues of 25 cents were collected.
SUWC offers activities and events that reflect the varied interests of its diverse membership. In addition to more than a dozen sections, the Women’s Club hosts organization-wide events such as the Autumn Brunch at the Hoover House.